The Power Service - Newcastle

Letting Agents

We can manage your testing and inspection requirements for gas and electricity, energy performance certificates, soft furnishings and furniture and smoke alarms. A one stop shop, one telephone call away. We can also manage tenant contacting, and annual renewals, leaving your staff free to concentrate on other business. With our regular reporting you will retain control of the inspections. We employ only fully trained competent engineers, using calibrated testing equipment.

Gas Safety
The Power Service can carry out the annual gas safety inspection to the property and provide the necessary Gas Safety Certificate (CP12).

Electrical Equipment Safety
The Power Service can inspect and test the landlord’s electrical appliances (PAT testing) and carry out a visual survey of the electrical power points, light switches, earth bonding and fuse box once a year and prior to a new tenancy. We provide Visual Inspection Reports and Appliance Test Results which also help to control property damage.

Periodic Inspection Report (PIR) for the Electrical Installation
The electrical circuitry should be inspected and tested on a five yearly cycle.

The Power Service will carry out this inspection and provide a full report (PIR) with any recommendations needed to bring the electrical system up to the standard required under current regulations BS7671. Some insurance companies require this inspection and any safety issues rectified, before granting insurance cover.


Furniture and Furnishings Safety
Our Engineers are trained to inspect any upholstered furniture and furnishings belonging to the landlord as part of the visual survey. A separate Certificate can be provided for HMO (Homes in Multiple Occupation) Licensing purposes.

Smoke Detectors Safety
If required, we can provide a full inspection of the smoke alarms system with a Certificate for HMO (Homes in Multiple Occupation) Licensing purposes.

The Power Service can provide the following services:

  • A one-stop-shop for all your inspections and certificates
  • We can contact the tenant and make arrangements for access
  • We will notify you one month prior to the next annual inspection 
  • We can provide estimates for remedial work   
  • We can carry out pre-purchase electrical and gas inspections on new properties

Laws relating to Let Property

There are six main areas of law which a property must comply with before it is ready to be let :

Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1994 (as amended) - all gas appliances must “be safe”
The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 - all electrical appliances must “be safe”

Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended) - all upholstered furniture must comply with safety standards and carry a fire resistance display label. For further information see the Government website:

Smoke Detectors Act 1991 – the property must have smoke alarms

Energy Performance of Buildings Directive 2008  – from 1st October 2008 an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) must be made available to a prospective tenant

The Housing Act 2004

Impact of Recent Legislation

The Housing Act 2004 – Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)
From April 2006, managing agents and private landlords carry the responsibility to assess their property for hazards that may cause a health or safety risk to tenants, and make changes to reduce those risks.

The Housing Act 2004 – Homes in Multiple Occupation (HMO)
From April 2006, managing agents and private landlords must ensure the electrical installation in all HMOs is tested and certified by a fully qualified electrician.

The Housing Act 2004 – Homes in Multiple Occupation (HMO)
Certain (so-called high risk) HMOs are required by law to be licensed (minimum five tenants in a property with three floors - includes entrance lobby). We can provide gas, electrical, smoke alarm and furniture and furnishings inspections and individual certificates to accompany the licence application. We can also carry out improvement works required by the Local Authority.

Part P Building Regulations 2000  
We are registered with NICEIC as a Domestic Installer. Since 2005 all domestic electrical work carried out must be tested and inspected and certification provided in accordance with Building Regulations. Other non-notifiable minor electrical work must also be tested and minor works certificates issued, as required by BS7671.

To download the latest version of the Part P Document click here

Landlords’ Accreditation schemes

We can help your Landlords gain accreditation by providing the inspection and testing certificates and reports and, if necessary, we can arrange to carry out the improvement works to bring the property to accreditation level.

Other areas of the Law applying to Letting Agents and Landlords

Consumer Protection Act 1987 – applies to the safety of any appliances (portable or fixed-wired) made available for use by the tenant.

Failure to comply with Safety Regulations may constitute a criminal offence, carrying a maximum penalty of a £5,000 fine and/or 6 months imprisonment. 

Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 - landlords and/or letting agents can also be sued in Civil Law under the Duty of Care for failure to ensure tenants’ safety, and face punitive damages. 

Click here for Prosecutions


The Department for Communities and Local Government

There are recommendations and lots of updated information for Landlords and tenants on the government website, all designed to help with advice and how to comply with your obligations under the legislation.

For further information see the CLG website :

Contact Us